It is the quality and composition of the steel. Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, comprising other elements like manganese, silicon, and sometimes nickel, chromium, and vanadium. Steel grades are technically designated with an alphanumeric code indicating the composition and properties of the steel.
Steel Dealers in Punjab follow the steel grading procedure to differentiate the types of steel according to the needs of the customers.
Types of Steel Grades
There are various types of steel grades. The steel grade is determined by chemical composition, processing, and treatment. Carbon Steel in Punjab has a different steel grade since it is composed of Iron and Carbon.
Here are the four types of steel and the grades they share:
- Mild Steel: This type of steel is used for bridges, railway tracks, fencing, and others due to its low cost, good strength, and ease of fabrication. Mild steel can be classified according to their composition, properties, and processing methods. Here are some commonly used steel grades: A36, S275JR, JIS G3101 SS 400, and AISI 1018.
- Carbon Steel: known for good strength and formidability, carbon steel has different grades. These grades are ASTM A36, AISI 1045, ASTM A572, AISI 1018.
- Alloy Steel: Alloy steel grades have different grades based on their functionalities. Some of these grades are used in building aircraft parts, oil, and gas industry components, etc. These grades are AISI 4130, AISI 4140, AISI 4340, and ASTM A387 Grade 11 steels.
Essential Factors to Consider Before Choosing the Right Steel
- Strength: Strength is the most crucial consideration while grading steel. It is measured in terms of yield strength. Higher the yield strength, the stronger the steel. ASTM A709 and ASTMA992 are used to build a heavy-duty bridge.
- Corrosion Resistance: Steels are a major subject of corrosion. But there are corrosion-resistant steel grades 316l and 304l. These grades of steel don’t react to saltwater or acidic water.
- Weldability: in many fields, steel must be able to be welded. Hence A36 and A572 Grade steels are suitable for welding.
- Formability: It stands for the ability to be formed into a desired shape without any breaking or cracking. Steel Grades like A1011 and A606 are the best options for such use.
- Heat Treatment: Some steel grades are heated to enhance their strength. You need to select a steel grade to have that function. 4140 and 4340 graded steels are the best choice for such properties.
- Machinability: It is the ability of steel to be cut into the desired shape. Machinability depends on the complexity of the shapes you want to cut the steel in. Some steels are more machinable than others. Steel Grades like 12l14 and 1215 are popular in these properties.
These are the steel grades and the factors they are graded into accordingly. You can select any type of steel grade according to your utility. Ensuring the suitable grade of steel ensures a better outcome for your wants and needs. So choose wisely.
For more steel-related information, you can come to us anytime.